Tennis Suffers Loss To Bruins In NCAA Round of 16|
May 16, 2002
Stanford, Calif. - The 11th-ranked USC women's tennis team suffered a 4-1 loss to No. 5 UCLA in the Round of 16 of the 2002 NCAA Division I Championships at Stanford University on Thursday, May 16. With the loss, the Women of Troy end the season with a 19-8 overall record, while the Bruins advance to the tournament quarterfinals and will face second-seeded Georgia on Friday.
UCLA earned the advantage early in the match by winning the doubles point with victories on court No. 1 and 2.
UCLA's Sara Walker quickly put the Bruins ahead 2-0 with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Luana Magnani at the No. 2 spot to start singles play. The Trojans then fell behind 3-0 as UCLA's Catherine Hawley beat Melissa Esmero on court six, 6-4, 7-5.
Following Esmero's loss, junior Jewel Peterson managed to put the Women of Troy on the scoreboard with an upset victory against No. 3-ranked Megan Bradley, 7-5, 1-6, 6-4. The win avenged Peterson's two earlier season losses to the UCLA freshman.
The match was eventually clinched at the No. 5 singles position when Lauren Fisher lost the first set but eventually registered a 2-6, 6-1, 7-5 decision over junior Tiffany Brymer.
Thursday's loss also gives the Bruins a 55-52.5 lead in the race for the Lexus Gauntlet. Trailing for the first time this year, the Trojans must now sweep all three upcoming baseball games (May 23, 24 & 25) to win the inaugural trophy, given annually to the school with the best head-to-head record each year.
NCAA Round of 16
(1) #8 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. #3 Megan Bradley (UCLA) - 7-5, 1-6, 6-4
(2) #10 Sara Walker (UCLA) def. #28 Luana Magnani (USC) - 6-1, 6-2
(3) #74 Petya Marinova (UCLA) vs. Anita Loyola (USC) - Suspended
(4) Sarah Gregg (UCLA) vs. #91 Maureen Diaz (USC) - Suspended
(5) Lauren Fisher (UCLA) vs. Tiffany Brymer (USC) - 2-6, 6-1, 7-5
(6) Catherine Hawley (UCLA) def. Melissa Esmero (USC) - 6-4, 7-5