Women Advance To NCAA Round of 16 With Win Over Oregon|
May 12, 2002
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The No. 11 USC women's tennis team advanced to NCAA Round of 16 with a 4-0 win over 39th-ranked Oregon in the second round of the 2002 NCAA Division I Tennis Championships, Sunday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. The Women of Troy will now face UCLA in the Round of 16 at Stanford, Calif., on Thursday, May 16.
The upcoming match-up with the Bruins will also serve as a re-match for the two teams who split during the regular season. If the Trojans win, USC would clinch the 2002 Lexus Gauntlet - an ongoing competition between these crosstown rivals which awards points for every USC-UCLA match-up. The winner will be awarded the inaugural Lexus Gauntlet at the end of the athletic year.
With today's win, USC improves to 19-7, while Oregon ends the season with a 14-11 overall record.
The Trojans earned the first point of the match with wins at No. 1 and 2 doubles. Luana Magnani and Anita Loyola were first off the court with an 8-4 win over the Ducks' Daria Panova and Janice Nyland. Tiffany Brymer and Jewel Peterson followed by defeating Davina Mendiburu and Courtney Nagle, 8-5, at center court.
Oregon was not ready to surrender the match and won the first set on courts four and six. But the Women of Troy were already on their way to two-set victories at the No. 1, 2 and 5 positions. Brymer was the first to finish, beating Oregon's Mendiburu, 6-2, 6-3. Peterson notched a 6-3, 6-4 win at center court over Panova and Magnani clinched the USC victory with a 6-2, 6-4 decision against the Ducks' Monika Gieczys.
NCAA Second Round
(1) #8 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. #88 Daria Panova (Oregon) - 6-3, 6-4
(2) #28 Luana Magnani (USC) def. Monika Gieczys (Oregon) - 6-2, 6-4
(3) Anita Loyola (USC) vs. #112 Janice Nyland (Oregon) - 6-3, 4-3 suspended
(4) #91 Maureen Diaz (USC) vs. Vickie Gunnarsson (Oregon) - 5-7, 2-1 suspended
(5) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Davina Mendiburu (Oregon) - 6-2, 6-3
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Courtney Nagle (Oregon) - 6-7, 5-0 suspended