Women Of Troy Fall To Cardinal, 5-2|
April 20, 2002
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The No. 10 USC women's tennis team surrendered the 2002 Pac-10 title with a 5-2 loss to the No. 3-ranked Stanford Cardinal Saturday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. The Trojans finished the regular season with a 17-7 overall record and 7-1 mark in conference play to claim sole possession of second place. The Cardinal improved to 22-1 overall and 8-0 in the Pac-10.
Stanford won two of three doubles matches to start the afternoon, including an 8-5 victory by top-ranked Lauren Kalvaria and Gabriela Lastra over USC's No. 6 Tiffany Brymer and Jewel Peterson at center court. The Trojans managed to come away with a win at No. 3 as Melissa Esmero and Bernadette Bayani defeated the Cardinal's Keiko Tokuda and Story Tweedie Yates, 8-3.
The Cardinal then took a 3-0 lead with two-set singles victories at the No. 2 and 3 positions, but the Women of Troy would not allow Stanford to walk away with the deciding point without a fight. No. 6-ranked Peterson defeated No. 4 Kalvaria, 6-2, 6-2, at center court to give USC its first point, then Esmero won the tiebreaker over Emilia Anderson (6-0, 7-6) at No. 6 to bring the Trojans within one, 3-2. Eventually Stanford posted the final two points as Tokuda defeated Brymer at No. 5, 6-0, 7-5, and Erin Burdette came back after dropping the first set to beat Maureen Diaz, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 4.
The Women of Troy will compete at the 2002 Pac-10 Individual Championships Thursday through Sunday, April 25-28, in Ojai, Calif.
#3 Stanford 5, #10 USC 2
(1) #6 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. #4 Lauren Kalvaria (Stan) - 6-2, 6-2
(2) #12 Gabriela Lastra (Stan) def. #35 Luana Magnani (USC) - 6-2, 6-1
(3) #14 Lauren Barnikow (Stan) def. Anita Loyola (USC) - 6-2, 6-2
(4) #23 Erin Burdette (Stan) def. #99 Maureen Diaz (USC) - 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
(5) Keiko Tokuda (Stan) def. Tiffany Brymer (USC) - 6-0, 7-5
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Emilia Anderson (Stan) - 6-0, 7-6