Women's Tennis Concludes Bay Area Trip With 5-2 Loss At Stanford|
April 19, 2003
STANFORD, Calif. - The fourth-ranked USC women's tennis team completed the 2003 regular season schedule with a 5-2 loss at top-ranked Stanford on Saturday at the Taube Tennis Center.
With the loss, the Women of Troy fall to 19-5 overall and 5-3 in the Pac-10 to finish in fourth place behind Stanford, Cal and Washington. The Cardinal improves to 19-1 overall and 7-0 in the Pac-10. Stanford would clinch its 16th-straight conference title with a win at Cal on Tuesday.
USC was unable to find its rhythm in doubles throughout the difficult Bay Area road trip. Stanford captured wins on all three doubles courts to earn the first point of the afternoon.
The Women of Troy got two important singles victories as both Luana Magnani and Maureen Diaz won their matches in straight sets on courts two and three. Magnani defeated No. 14 Lauren Barnikow, 6-4, 6-2, and Diaz beat 35th-ranked Erin Burdette, 7-6, 6-1. Meanwhile, Stanford clinched straight-set wins at the No. 4 and 5 positions to take a 3-2 lead.
With the Cardinal needing only one more victory to clinch the match, the Trojans managed to fight off their efforts and puch the remaining two matches to a third set. Despite the comeback, USC's Jewel Peterson eventually fell 6-1, 5-7, 6-4 at center court to the Cardinal's Amber Liu, and Melissa Esmero was defeated 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 at No. 6 by Story Tweedie-Yates.
USC will next compete at the Pac-10 Individual Tournament and Invitational, held April 24 through April 27 in Ojai, Calif.
#1 Stanford 5, #4 USC 2
(1) #4 Amber Liu (Stan) def. #5 Jewel Peterson (USC) - 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
(2) #30 Luana Magnani (USC) def. #14 Lauren Barnikow (Stan) - 6-4, 6-2
(3) #64 Maureen Diaz (USC) def. #35 Erin Burdette (Stan) - 7-6, 6-1
(4) #9 Alice Barnes (Stan) def. Anita Loyola (USC) - 6-0, 6-3
(5) #119 Emilia Anderson (Stan) def. Tiffany Brymer (USC) - 6-3, 6-0
(6) #122 Story Tweedie-Yates (Stan) def. #120 Melissa Esmero (USC) - 6-2, 4-6, 6-3