Women's Tennis Defeats Cal, 5-2|
April 19, 2002
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The No. 10 USC women's tennis team remains in the hunt for the Pac-10 title after earning a 5-2 win over No. 15 California Friday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. The Women of Troy improve to 17-6 overall and 7-0 in the Pac-10, while the Golden Bears fall to 12-8, 2-4 in conference play. The Trojans will face the undefeated Stanford Cardinal on Saturday (April 20) to decide the 2002 Pac-10 champion.
USC swept all three doubles matches to earn the first point. Following an 8-4 win by Anita Loyola and Luana Magnani at No. 2, positions 1 and 3 used comeback efforts to earn their victories. Tiffany Brymer and Jewel Peterson fought back after starting down 4-1 to defeat Raquel Kops-Jones and Jody Scheldt, 8-5, and Melissa Esmero and Bernadette Bayani took the lead at 5-4 to beat Nicole Havlicek and Carla Arguelles, 8-6.
USC's Esmero started singles play with a 6-1, 6-4 win at No. 6 over Arguelles, but the Golden Bears quickly evened the score with two-set victories at courts 1 and 3. After USC junior Maureen Diaz posted a 6-4, 6-3 win at No. 4, Magnani clinched the match for the Trojans by defeating Lynch in a second-set tiebreaker, 6-2, 7-5. Brymer finished the afternoon for the Women of Troy with a 10-point tiebreaker in the third set for a 7-6, 6-7, 10-7 win over Scheldt.
The Women of Troy face No. 2 Stanford on Saturday, April 20, at noon at Marks Tennis Stadium.
#10 USC 5, #15 Cal 2
(1) #39 Raquel Kops-Jones (Cal) def. #6 Jewel Peterson (USC) - 6-4, 6-1
(2) #35 Luana Magnani (USC) def. #42 Catherine Lynch (Cal) - 6-2, 7-5
(3) #58 Christina Fusano (Cal) def. Anita Loyola (USC) - 6-2, 6-2
(4) #99 Maureen Diaz (USC) def. #74 Jieun Jacobs (Cal) - 6-4, 6-3
(5) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Jody Scheldt (Cal) - 7-6, 6-7, 10-7
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Carla Arguelles (Cal) - 6-1, 6-4