Cardinal Proves Too Tough For Women of Troy|
April 17, 2004
LOS ANGELES - Top-ranked and undefeated Stanford proved too tough for the seventh-ranked USC women's tennis team as the Cardinal beat the Women of Troy 7-0 to clinch the Pac-10 Championship. The match was played Saturday afternoon at USC's Marks Tennis Stadium, but delayed by nearly two hours due to rain.
With the win, Stanford improves to 23-0 overall and 8-0 in conference play, while the Women of Troy drop to 16-6 and 7-1 in the Pac-10, finishing in second place.
Despite being well-prepared for the chance to capture its first conference title since 1986, USC was simply overmatched. With two ranked doubles teams and a singles lineup complete with ranked players, Stanford swept at all nine courts for the 7-0 victory.
USC played without freshman Judy DeVera in both singles and doubles due to injury. As her replacement, senior Melissa Esmero paired with Bernadette Bayani at No. 3 doubles and provided the closest match-up of the afternoon. The pair fell to Stanford's Emilia Anderson and Anne Yelsey, 8-6.
In singles, freshman Anca Anastasiu was the only USC player who pushed her match to a third set by coming back in the second set. The Cardinal's Erin Burdette eventually captured the win, 6-1, 0-6, 6-4, at No. 4.
The Women of Troy will compete at the Pac-10 Individual Tournament and Invitational this week, April 22-25, in Ojai, Calif. NCAA Tournament selections will be announced on Wednesday, May 5, on ESPN News.
#1 Stanford 7, #7 USC 0
(1) #10 Amber Liu (Stan) def. #15 Luana Magnani (USC) - 6-0, 6-2
(2) #13 Alice Barnes (Stan) def. #54 Carine Vermeulen (USC) - 6-1, 6-1
(3) #22 Erin Burdette (Stan) def. #95 Anca Anastasiu (USC) - 6-1, 0-6, 6-4
(4) #43 Lauren Barnikow (Stan) def. Dianne Matias (USC) - 6-0, 6-4
(5) #35 Theresa Logar (Stan) def. Bernadette Bayani (USC) - 6-3, 6-2
(6) #75 Emilia Anderson (Stan) def. Melissa Esmero (USC) - 7-5, 6-4
- GO SC -