Women Of Troy Upset No. 6 Washington, 5-2|
April 10, 2004
LOS ANGELES - The eighth-ranked USC women's tennis team upset sixth-ranked Washington, 5-2, on Saturday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium to remain undefeated in Pac-10 play. With two home matches remaining, the Women of Troy (15-5, 6-0 Pac-10) are in contention for their first Pac-10 title since 1986.
With the loss, the Huskies fall to 17-5 overall and 4-3 in the Pac-10.
Junior Luana Magnani led the Trojans with key victories in both singles and doubles. Magnani and partner Carine Vermeulen stunned Washington's fourth-ranked Claire Carter and Dea Sumantri with a convincing 8-3 win at center court doubles. Despite dropping the match at court two, USC notched another decisive victory at the No. 3 spot to clinch the first point of the afternoon.
In singles, Bernadette Bayani and Dianne Matias helped the Women of Troy gain a 3-0 lead as each tallied a straight set victory at the No. 6 and 4 positions. For the second straight day it was freshman Judy DeVera who clinched the match victory for the Women of Troy by defeating Washington's Saskia Nauenberg, 7-6, 4-6, 6-2, at court five.
Magnani completed the afternoon with a 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (8-6) decision over the Huskies' 29th-ranked Carter at No. 1 singles.
The Women of Troy return to the court to wrap up the regular season next week when they host California and Stanford on Friday and Saturday, April 16 and 17.
#8 USC 5, #6 Washington 2
(1) #15 Luana Magnani (USC) def. #29 Claire Carter (Wash) - 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (8-6)
(2) #20 Dea Sumantri (Wash) def. #54 Carine Vermeulen (USC) - 6-4, 6-4
(3) #53 Erin Hoe (Wash) def. #95 Anca Anastasiu (USC) - 7-6, 6-2
(4) Dianne Matias (USC) def. Dinka Hadzic (Wash) - 6-4, 6-4
(5) Judy DeVera (USC) def. Saskia Nauenberg (Wash) - 7-6, 4-6, 6-2*
(6) Bernadette Bayani (USC) def. Stephanie Svanfeldt (Wash) - 6-1, 7-5
* match clinching point.
- GO SC -