Singles Play Carries Women Of Troy Past Harvard, 5-2|
March 30, 2005
LOS ANGELES - The fourth-ranked USC women's tennis team took the top five singles matches to beat No. 18 Harvard on Wednesday, March 30, at Marks Stadium. Freshman Nicole Leimbach, ranked 11th nationally, won her sixth match of her previous seven against 40th-ranked Courtney Bergman, 6-0, 6-1, at center court to lead the way for the Trojans.
With the win, USC improves to 14-1 overall, while Harvard falls to 8-6.
The match started off in the Crimson's favor as they claimed the doubles point from the first and third positions. Leimbach and Dianne Matias prevented the doubles sweep with an 8-4 victory at court No. 2 over Bergman and Susanna Lingman.
In singles, USC took back control of the match, winning the top five positions to ensure the victory. Leimbach got the ball rolling for USC with her victory at center court. Lindsey Nelson followed by remaining perfect through her first 15 collegiate matches, defeating 62nd-ranked Lingman, 6-1, 6-0, at court two. The Women of Troy's Matias won her seventh match in a row beating Alexis Martire, 6-1, 6-2, at court No. 4.
Harvard's Eva Wang cut the Trojans lead to 3-2 with her 6-3, 6-3 victory over Taylynn Snyder at court six.
Carine Vermeulen responded by winning her fifth consecutive match to secure the victory for USC, 6-3, 6-4, at court five over Melissa Anderson. Anca Anastasiu closed out the match with her seventh victory in her previous eight matches over Celia Durkin, 6-7, 6-4, 10-4, at court No. 3.
The Trojans next take the court against No. 22 Oregon on Friday, April 1, at 1:30 p.m. in Eugene, Ore.
#4 USC 5, #18 Harvard 2
1. #31 Durkin/Anderson (Har) def. Nelson/Vermeulen (USC) 8-4
2. Matias/Liembach (USC) def Bergman/Lingman (Har) 8-4
3. O'Riain/Schnitte (Har) def. Anastasiu/Snyder (USC) 8-3
Harvard wins doubles
1. No. 11 Nicole Leimbach (USC) def. No. 40 Courtney Bergman (Har) 6-0, 6-1
2. No. 10 Lindsey Nelson (USC) def. #62 Susanna Lingman (Har) 6-1, 6-0
3. Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Celia Durkin (Har) 6-7, 6-4, 10-4
4. Diane Matias (USC) def. Alexis Martire (Har) 6-1, 6-2
5. Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Melissa Anderson (Har) 6-3, 6-4
6. Eva Wang (Har) def. Taylynn Snyder (USC) 6-3, 6-3