Women's Tennis Gets Past Arizona, 6-1|
March 26, 2005
Tucson, Ariz. - The fifth-ranked USC women's tennis team took care of No. 47 Arizona with a 6-1 victory on Saturday, March 26, in Tucson, Arizona. USC won the doubles point and the top five singles positions to secure the victory. With the win, USC improves to 13-1 overall and 5-0 in conference play, while Arizona falls to 6-8, 0-3.
The match started off with a hard-fought doubles battle with USC taking two of the three positions to claim the point. The Women of Troy's Dianne Matias and Linsey Nelson defeated Stephanie Balzert and Kasia Jakowlew, 8-1, at court No. 2. Anca Anastasiu and Taylynn Snyder won a close 8-8 (7-5) match over Kelly Perry and Jessie Rochefort at court No. 3 to pick up the doubles point.
USC took control of singles play, winning five of the six matches. 11th-ranked Nicole Leimbach won her match at center court, 7-5, 7-5 over 37th-ranked Dianne Hollands. 10th-ranked Nelson maintained her perfect singles record, which now stands at 14-0, with a 6-1, 3-6, 6-2 victory at court two over the Wildcats' Maja Mlakar. Anastasiu then won her match at court three, 6-2, 6-3, over Balzert. Matias kept her streak of good play with a 6-1, 6-3 victory on court No. 4. Carine Vermeulen took care of Jakowlew, 6-0, 2-6, 6-2, at court No. 5.
The Trojans next take the court against Harvard on Wednesday, March 30, at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Stadium.
#5 USC 6, #47 Arizona 1
1. Mlakar/Hollands (UA) def. Vermeulen/Leimbach (USC) 8-6
2. Matias/Nelson (USC) def Balzert/Jakowlew (UA) 8-1
3. Anastasiu/Snyder (USC) def. Perry/Rochefort (UA) 8-8 (7-5)
1. No. 11 Nicole Leimbach (USC) def. No. 37 Dianne Hollands (UA) 7-5, 7-5
2. No. 10 Lindsey Nelson (USC) def. Maja Mlakar (UA) 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
3. Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Stephanie Balzert (UA) 6-2, 6-3
4. Diane Matias (USC) def. Kelly Perry (UA) 6-1, 6-3
5. Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) 6-0, 2-6, 6-2
6. Jessie Rochefort (UA) def. Taylynn Snyder (USC) 6-3, 6-2