No. 6 USC Women Blank The Cougars|
March 23, 2013
PULLMAN, WASH. -- The No. 6 USC women's tennis team wrapped up its seventh straight win in completing a road sweep with today's 7-0 sweep of host No. 60 Washington State. The Trojans muscled their way through another dominating Pac-12 victory with wins down the line and the clincher coming today from Zoë Scandalis' court three. The win moves USC to 15-2 overall on the year and takes the Trojans to a 4-0 mark in Pac-12 play.
The Trojans logged the doubles point when Lao/Olmos followed up #1 Christian/Santamaria's solid 8-2 win at the No. 1 spot with a tough 9-7 win on court two. That suspended play on court three, and the teams were off to singles play with USC leading 1-0. The Trojans locked in for singles action, which opened with a 6-0, 6-0 shutout win by USC's #2 Sabrina Santamaria on court two. The top of the Trojan lineup continued to dominate, with #8 Danielle Lao winning next on a 6-1, 7-6 (4) win over Liudmila Vasilieva at the No. 1 spot. That got the Trojans a 3-0 lead, and Zoë Scandalis chugged her way to the clincher with a 6-4, 6-3 win at the No. 3 position.
The finishing touches came from the bottom half of the USC ladder. #107 Giuliana Olmos had slipped in a tiebreaker in her second set on court four, but she haled strong in her 10-point tiebreak to decide the match, winning 6-4, 6-7 (3), 1-0 (10-8) to make it a 5-0 USC advantage. Ellie Yates converted a straight-set win next from the No. 6 spot, winning 6-3, 6-0 before Kaitlyn Christian topped her WSU opponent 7-5, 6-3 to chisel USC's ninth shutout win of the year in the books.
USC now returns home to face two more Pac-12 opponents. The Trojans host California at 1:30 p.m. on Friday (March 29) and then takes on Stanford at 12 p.m. on Saturday (March 30) at Marks Stadium.
#6 USC 7, #60 Washington State 0
March 23, 2013 - Pullman, Wash.
(1) #1 Christian/Santamaria (USC) def. Vasilieva/Googe (WSU) - 8-2
(2) Olmos/Lao (USC) def. Musilovich/Kankaras (WSU) - 9-7
(3) Scandalis/Pulido (USC) vs. Koning/Luzina (WSU) - 7-6 DNF
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 2
(1) #8 Danielle Lao (USC) def. Liudmila Vasilieva (WSU) - 6-1, 7-6 (4)
(2) #2 Sabrina Santamaria (USC) def. Ksenia Googe (WSU) - 6-0, 6-0
(3) #27 Zoe Scandalis (USC) def. Elizaveta Luzina (WSU) - 6-4, 6-3*
(4) #107 Giuliana Olmos (USC) def. Olga Musilovich (WSU) - 6-4, 6-7 (3), 1-0 (10-8)
(5) Kaitlyn Christian (USC) def. Charlotte Koning (WSU) - 7-5, 6-3
(6) Ellie Yates (USC) def. Dajana Ognjenovic (WSU) - 6-3, 6-0
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3, 4, 6, 5