Women Of Troy Notch 6-1 Win Over Longhorns|
March 12, 2003
LOS ANGELES - The No. 2-ranked USC women's tennis team collected their eighth consecutive victory with a 6-1 win over 17th-ranked Texas on Wednesday at Marks Tennis Stadium. The Women of Troy improve to 13-1 overall, while the Longhorns drop to 4-4.
The afternoon began with a dominating USC doubles win at court two as Luana Magnani and Anita Loyola swept Lindsay Blau and Kelly Baritot, 8-0. Soon after, Melissa Esmero and Carine Vermeulen posted an equally impressive 8-1 victory over UT's Macey Breece and Michelle Krinke at the No. 3 spot to clinch the doubles point for the Women of Troy.
USC's Jewel Peterson and Tiffany Brymer fell to the Texas duo of Kendra Strohm and Ziva Grasic, 8-5, at center court. Brymer, who is still nursing a sprained right ankle she suffered last week, did not play singles.
The Trojans secured the match victory with quick wins at the No. 1, 2 and 3 singles positions, allowing the Longhorns to score only six total points on all three courts. Peterson was the first off the court with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Texas' Strohm at No. 1. Maureen Diaz followed with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Blau at court two and Magnani put USC ahead 4-0 with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Krinke at court three.
Texas collected its only point of the afternoon when Baritot defeated Loyola 6-3, 6-2 at the No. 4 spot.
The Women of Troy return to action next week when they host South Alabama on Wednesday, March 19, and Pepperdine on Friday, March 21.
#2 USC 6, #17 Texas 1
(1) #5 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. #52 Kendra Strohm (Texas) - 6-2, 6-1
(2) #32 Luana Magnani (USC) def. Michelle Krinke (Texas) - 6-1, 6-2
(3) #76 Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Lindsay Blau (Texas) - 6-0, 6-0
(4) Kelly Baritot (Texas) def. Anita Loyola (USC) - 6-3, 6-2
(5) #115 Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Ziva Grasic (Texas) - 7-6, 6-2
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Macey Breece (Texas) - 7-6, retired
- GO SC -