Women Of Troy Defeat Oregon, 5-2, For Second Pac-10 Win|
March 8, 2003
EUGENE, Ore. - The second-ranked USC women's tennis team notched its second Pac-10 victory of the week with a 5-2 win over No. 36 Oregon on Saturday in Eugene, Ore. The Women of Troy improve to 12-1 overall and 2-0 in conference play with the victory, while the Ducks drop to 9-7 overall and 0-2 in the Pac-10.
USC began the afternoon by capturing the doubles point with wins at the No. 2 and 3 positions, but it was not easy. After Anita Loyola and Luana Magnani tallied an 8-4 win at court two, Melissa Esmero and Carine Vermeulen had to fight for their win at the No. 3 position. The pair eventually defeated Oregon's Ester Bak and Anna Leksinska 7-1 in the tiebreaker to give USC the 1-0 lead.
Oregon gained momentum by winning the first set in four of the six singles matches. Courtney Nagle defeated USC's Magnani at court two, 6-3, 6-4, and tied the team score, 1-1.
But the Women of Troy quickly regained the edge by winning the next three consecutive singles matches at positions 1, 6 and 3. Fourth-ranked Jewel Peterson came back to defeat No. 16 Daria Panova, 3-6, 6-1, 6-1, at center court, while No. 96 Maureen Diaz defeated No. 89 Monika Gieczys in straight sets at court three and Vermeulen beat Leksinska, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 6.
Bak picked up Oregon's second point at court five when Brymer was forced to retire the match. Loyola defeated Oregon's Jamie Marshall at No. 4 in the final match of the afternoon, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4.
# 2 USC 5, #36 Oregon 2
(1) #4 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. #16 Daria Panova (Oregon) - 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
(2) #52 Courtney Nagle (Oregon) def. #32 Luana Magnani (USC) - 6-3, 6-4
(3) #96 Maureen Diaz (USC) def. # 89 Monika Gieczys (Oregon) - 7-5, 6-1
(4) Anita Loyola (USC) def. Jamie Marshall (Oregon) - 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
(5) Ester Bak (Oregon) def. #90 Tiffany Brymer (USC) - 6-4, 5-7, 2-1 retired
(6) Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Anna Leksinska (Oregon) - 6-3, 6-4