USC Women's Tennis Outlasts No. 41 Washington 5-2|
March 4, 2016
LOS ANGELES - USC’s women’s tennis team broke their three-match losing streak as they defeated No. 41 Washington 5-2 on Friday (March 4) in Marks Stadium. The Trojans improve to 4-3 overall with the win.
The Trojans collected the first win of the day as Zoë Katz and Madison Westby ran away with their match to defeat the Husky duo of Fung/Grende 6-2 on court two. Courts one and three were locked in with identical 5-4 scores late into their respective matches. On court one, the No. 8 Trojan pair of Giuliana Olmos and Gabby Smith blasted through their last game to win the set 6-4 and take the doubles point for Troy while court three’s match was suspended.
The Trojans opened up singles play on a high note as USC’s No. 21 Giuliana Olmos took no prisoners as she defeated her Husky opponent Nour Abbes 6-0, 6-1 on court one. On court five, Trojan No. 66 Jessica Failla notched another point for Troy to increase USC’s lead to 3-0 with her winning score of 6-1, 6-1 over Washington’s Kenadi Hance.
On court three, USC’s No. 85 Gabby Smith clinched the match for the Trojans as she outlasted Washington’s Tami Grende 6-3, 6-3.
After defeating Washington’s Sophia Bott 6-2 on court six, Trojan No. 60 Rianna Valdes fell to Bott 6-2 in the second set. Before the third set began, Valdes was forced to retire due to injury. Minutes later, USC’s Zoë Katz seized her match with a 6-1, 6-1 score. On court two, USC’s No. 90 Madison Westby was entrenched in battle. After losing the first set 6-4 to Washington’s No. 99 Stacey Fung, she fought back in the second set to tie up the score at 6-6. A seven-point tiebreaker was played to determine the set, but Fung reached seven points first to claim the set and match.
USC will continue their weekend of competition by taking on No. 47 Washington State tomorrow (March 5) at 12 p.m. at Marks Stadium.
USC, 5, #41 Washington 2
March 4, 2016 – Marks Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
(1) #8 Olmos/Smith (USC) def. Abbes/Kobayashi (UW) - 6-4
(2) Katz/Westby (USC) def. Fung/Grende (UW) - 6-2
(3) Failla/Valdes (USC) vs. Douglas-Miron/Hance (UW) – 5-4 susp.
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2, 1
(1) #21 Giuliana Olmos (USC) def. Nour Abbes (UW) - 6-0, 6-1
(2) #99 Stacey Fung (UW) def. #90 Madison Westby (USC) - 6-4, 7-6 (4)
(3) #85 Gabby Smith (USC) def. Tami Grende (UW) - 6-3, 6-3*
(4) Zoë Katz (USC) def. Elianne Douglas-Miron (UW)– 6-1, 6-1
(5) #66 Jessica Failla (USC) def. Kenadi Hance (UW) – 6-1, 6-1
(6) Sophia Bott (UW) def. #60 Rianna Valdes (USC) – 2-6, 6-2, 0-0 (USC ret.)
Order of finish: 1, 5, 3*, 6, 4, 2