No. 15 USC Women Fall At No. 17 UCLA|
March 2, 2011
WESTWOOD, CALIF. -- The No. 15 USC women's tennis team's four-match win streak came to a halt today at the hands of crosstown rival No. 17 UCLA. Playing in Westwood for their first collision of the year, the Trojans and the Bruins fought their way through to an eventual 5-2 UCLA victory on Wednesday at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. USC goes to 7-2 with the loss, and UCLA improves to 8-4. The Women of Troy now return home for a Friday (March 4) match against No. 20 Washington at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Stadium.
USC staged a doubles comeback to snag the first point of the match. UCLA's Hickey/Jones managed a shutout of #10 Trojans Pulido/Ramos on court two to put pressure on the Women of Troy, but USC promptly responded with an answering shutout victory at the No. 1 position. USC's #20 Christian/Sanchez served up an 8-0 win over UCLA's Dolehide/Seguso to even the score, putting the decider on court three. There, USC's Kinstler/Lao rallied ahead of UCLA's Montez/Remynse for an 8-5 victory that punched the Trojans ahead 1-0 in the match with singles coming up next.
The Bruins came back with a powerful singles push, claiming the first sets down the line except for the No. 1 slot, where USC's #2 Maria Sanchez got out ahead of UCLA's #73 McCall Jones. UCLA evened the score when Pamela Montez snapped USC sophomore Valeria Pulido's eight-match win streak with a 6-3, 6-1 decision on court four. The Bruins then pulled ahead and on to victory as they captured straight-set wins at the No. 6, No. 2 and No. 3 positions. USC's #113 freshman Kaitlyn Christian was up against UCLA's #64 senior Andrea Remynse on court three, and Remynse got a 6-3, 6-1 win over Christian to clinch the match in the Bruins' favor. Maria Sanchez then fought off Jones' attempt to force a third set by pulling out a win in a long second-set tiebreak, getting USC its second point of the day with her 6-2, 7-6 (9) victory on court one. That was the senior's 17th consecutive singles victory. The final match of the day saw UCLA's #121 Courtney Dolehide fend off USC's Alison Ramos in a 10-point tiebreak to decide the match as a 6-3, 5-7, (10-7) Bruin win.
#17 UCLA 5, #15 USC 2
March 2, 2011 -- Los Angeles Tennis Center
(1) #20 Christian/Sanchez (USC) def. Dolehide/Seguso (UCLA) -- 8-0
(2) Hickey/Jones (UCLA) def. #10 Pulido/Ramos (USC) -- 8-0
(3) Kinstler/Lao (USC) def. Montez/Remynse (UCLA) -- 8-5
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
(1) #2 Maria Sanchez (USC) def. #73 McCall Jones (UCLA) -- 6-2, 7-6 (9)
(2) Noelle Hickey (UCLA) def. #18 Danielle Lao (USC) -- 6-3, 6-3
(3) #64 Andrea Remynse (UCLA) def. #113 Kaitlyn Christian (USC) -- 6-3, 6-1*
(4) Pamela Montez (UCLA) def. Valeria Pulido (USC) -- 6-3, 6-1
(5) #121 Courtney Dolehide (UCLA) def. Alison Ramos (USC) -- 6-3, 5-7, (10-7)
(6) Maya Johansson (UCLA) def. Cristala Andrews (USC) -- 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: 4, 6, 2, 3*, 1, 5