No. 4 USC Drops First Match Of 2006 In 5-2 Loss To No. 1 Stanford|
Feb. 19, 2006
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. -- In a dual match that began on Friday but was halted and postponeddueto rain, the fourth-ranked USC women's tennis team had its lead taken away by the top-ranked Stanford squad in a 5-2 decision at Marks Stadium on Sunday. The Trojans had won the doubles point on Friday and were leading with first-set wins in four of the six singles matches entering Sunday's continuation of the match. The Cardinal stayed strong, however, and pulled out a default victory at No. 2 singles and wins at the No. 1, 3, 5 and 6 positions to grab the victory. The Trojans are now 5-1 on the season, while Stanford improves to 9-0.
Luana Magnani was the lone Trojan to tack up a singles victory with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Whitney Deason from her No. 4 singles slot. That win got the Trojans ahead 2-1 after Stanford's Theresa Logar had won her match with Amanda Fink by default. The Cardinal were stubborn in the remaining singles matches, however, with three-set comeback wins for Amber Liu over USC's Lindsey Nelson at No. 1, a 2-6, 6-4, 6-3 win by Anne Yelsey over USC's Dianne Matias at No. 3 and another third-set win for Stanford's Jessica Nguyen over Judy DeVera at No. 6 to keep the Cardinal's winning streak intact, now at 64 straight dual-match wins.
USC next travels to Arizona to face Arizona State at 1:30 p.m. on Friday (Feb. 24) and Arizona at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday (Feb. 25).
#1 Stanford 5, #4 USC 2
(1) Amber Liu (STAN) def. Lindsey Nelson (USC) -- 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
(2) #10 Theresa Logar (STAN) def. #3 Amanda Fink (USC) -- 4-6, 4-5 default
(3) #2 Anne Yelsey (STAN) def. #78 Dianne Matias (USC) -- 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
(4) #69T Luana Magnani (USC) def. Whitney Deason (STAN) -- 7-5, 6-3
(5) #69T Celia Durkin (STAN) def. Carine Vermeulen (USC) -- 7-5, 7-5
(6) Jessica Nguyen (STAN) def. Judy DeVera (USC) -- 6-2, 3-6, 7-6
Order of finish: 2, 4, 5, 1, 3, 6