No. 6 USC Women Push Through ITA Kick-Off For Spot At ITA National Indoors
Jan. 25, 2014
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. -- The No. 6 USC's women's tennis team stamped its ticket to the ITA National Indoor Championships today with a 4-0 sweep of No. 37 Saint Mary's in the final round of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend.
A strong showing in doubles helped the No. 6 Women of Troy get off to a good start. Juniors Zoë Scandalis and Giuliana Olmos, the No. 7 doubles team in the nation, blasted a number of powerful returns at their opponents, earning them a 6-0 win over Danielle Flores and Jamie Powid of St. Mary's.
At the top doubles spot, junior Sabrina Santamaria and senior Kaitlyn Christian, ranked No. 33 in the nation together, used perfectly placed lobs to defeat the Gaels' Jenny Jullien and Parminder Kaur, 6-3, to secure the doubles point.
Despite excelling in doubles, Santamaria struggled out of the gate in singles play. Santamaria, ranked No. 13 nationally in singles, dropped the first set to the Gaels' Jullien, ranked No. 7 nationally, but her teammates would step up to guarantee their team a victory.
No. 60 Olmos dominated Kaur on court three, 6-0, 6-1, while No. 80 Gabriella DeSimone handled Flores, 6-4, 6-0, on court four.
With Santamaria and Scandalis dropping their first sets, freshman Zoë Katz came to the rescue, notching a 6-3, 6-1 win over the Gaels' Jade Frampton to clinch the victory for the Women of Troy.
USC will be one of 16 teams vying for the title at next month's ITA National Team Indoor Championship. The tournament will be held in Charlottesville, VA, from Feb. 7-10.
ITA KICK-OFF WEEKEND (Los Angeles, Calif. Marks Stadium)
CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH - Jan. 25
#6 USC 4, #37 St. Mary's 0
(1) Christian/Santamaria (USC) def. Jullien/Kaur (SMC) - 6-3
(2) Scandalis/Olmos (USC) def. Flores/Pawid (SMC) - 6-0
(3) Katz/DeSimone (USC) vs. Searl/Frampton (SMC) - 5-5 susp.
USC wins singles point
Order of finish: 2, 1
(1) Sabrina Santamaria (USC) vs. Jullien (SMC) - 4-6, 4-2 susp.
(2) Zoë Scandalis (USC) vs. Pawid (SMC) - 3-6. 3-2 susp.
(3) Giuliana Olmos (USC) def. Kaur (SMC) - 6-0, 6-1
(4) Gabriella DeSimone (USC) def. Flores (SMC) - 6-4, 6-0
(5) Ellie Yates (USC) vs. Leduc (SMC) - 5-7, 2-2 susp.
(6) Zoë Katz (USC) def. Frampton (SMC) - 6-3, 6-1*
Order of finish: 3, 4, 6*
CONSOLATION MATCH - Jan. 25