Women's Tennis Beats TCU, 6-1
Jan. 23, 2004
LOS ANGELES - The No. 6 USC women's tennis team defeated the TCU Horned Frogs, 6-1, on Friday at USC's Marks Tennis Stadium. The victory runs the Women of Troy's record to 2-0 and drops TCU to 0-1.
TCU began the match by capturing the doubles point with wins at all three positions. Karla Mancinas and Paty Aburto defeated USC's Carine Vermeulen and Dianne Matias, 8-6, while Melissa Esmero and Judy DeVera fell to TCU's Ana Cetnik and Saber Pierce in an 8-4 match. Jenn Chay and Paige Brown completed the sweep for the Horned Frogs over Anca Anastasiu and Erica Sauer, 8-4.
In singles, USC fought back to sweep all six positions with the help of three freshmen. Newcomers Anastasiu, Matias and DeVera each won their matches at courts two, three and four. Senior Bernadette Bayani led the Women of Troy with the first victory of the day, 6-1, 6-4, over Brown on court five. The deciding point was won on center court with Vermeulen defeating TCU's Jenn Chay in three sets, 6-3, 2-6, 6-2.
"I'm extremely proud of our singles play today," said head coach Richard Gallien. "We were very close in four of our matches but we found a way to win all of our singles. You have to give it to TCU for fighting tough but we came out on top. I was impressed with the play of our freshman today."
Up next, the Trojans take on UC Irvine on Wednesday, Jan. 28, at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Tennis Stadium.
#6 USC 6, #56 TCU 1
(1) #70 Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Jenn Chay (TCU) - 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
(2) Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Paty Aburto (TCU) - 6-3, 7-5
(3) Dianne Matias (USC) def. Saber Pierce (TCU) - 6-3, 6-1
(4) Judy DeVera (USC) def. Ana Cetnik (TCU) - 5-7, 7-6, 7-6(10-5)
(5) Bernadette Bayani (USC) def. Paige Brown (TCU) - 6-1, 6-4
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Karla Mancinas (TCU) - 6-2, 3-6, 6-4