No. 14 USC To Host No. 17 UCLA Friday At Uytengsu|
Feb. 11, 2015
The USC women's swimming and diving team completes its dual meet season with its annual crosstown clash against UCLA on Friday (Feb. 13) at 1 p.m. at the Uytengsu Aquatics Center in a meet that will be broadcast live by Pac-12 Networks.
USC, ranked No. 14, is 4-3, 3-3, while UCLA is 7-3, 3-3. The 3-meter diving will begin at 10:40 a.m. followed by 1-meter at noon and the first swimming event will start at 1 p.m.
Friday will also mark Senior Day for four Trojans, including two-time NCAA champion diver Haley Ishimatsu, All-American Andrea Kropp, co-captain Rebecca Heyliger and Kate Davey. All four earned Pac-12 All-Academic honors last season.
SoCal BMW Crosstown Cup
Trojan swimmers with NCAA `B' cuts
* Sophomore Blair Carnes: 200y breast (2:15.11).
* Sophomore Sidney Cooke: 100y back (53.91), 200y back (1:58.63).
* Sophomore Chelsea Chenault: 200y (1:45.31), 500y free (4:42.44), 200y fly (1:57.82).
* Sophomore Maggie D'Innocenzo: 400y IM (4:15.15), 200y fly (1:58.18).
* Sophomore Kelsey Kafka: 200y breast (2:14.97).
*Senior Andrea Kropp: 100y breast (1:00.01), 200y breast (2:09.32), 200y IM (1:56.99).
* Junior Joanna Stenkvist: 100y fly (54.81), 200y back (1:58.31).
* Junior Kendyl Stewart: 200y IM (2:00.85), 100y fly (51.99), 100y back (53.83), 200y back (1:54.20).
* Sophomore Evan Swenson: 50y free (22.81), 100y free (49.93).
* Junior Jasmine Tosky: 200y free (1:47.18), 200y fly (1:55.59), 100y breast (1:02.16), 200y breast (2:11.08), 400y IM (4:12.05).
* Freshman Hannah Weiss: 100y back (52.23), 200y back (1:55.09), 100y fly (53.01).
* Junior Kasia Wilk: 50y free (22.78), 100y free (49.91).
* Junior Lucy Worrall: 100y fly (53.46).
USC has `A' cuts in both medley relays and `B' cuts in the freestyle relays. Senior Haley Ishimatsu and junior Sam Adams have NCAA diving cuts on all three boards while freshman Alexa Cacao has one on 1-meter and junior Natalie Kalibat has them on 1- and 3-meter.
Trojans ranked in the NCAA Top Times top 25
*Junior Kendyl Stewart was among five swimmers nominated for USA Swimming's Breakout Performer of the Year honor at the 2014 Golden Goggles in November. She earned the nomination after winning a bronze in the 100m fly and a silver on the 400m medley relay at the 2014 Pan Pacs. She also won her first career U.S. titles with victories in the 50m and 100m fly at the 2014 U.S. Summer Nationals.
USC Women Notes
Other top returning contributors include senior breaststroke specialist Andrea Kropp, a 2013 All-American, sophomore freestyler Lexie Malazdrewicz, who competed as a freshman at last year's NCAAs, junior diver Sam Adams, a three-time 2014 Pac-12 Championships finalist, and improving sophomore IM'er Maggie D'Innocenzo. USC also has a host of young breaststrokers including sophomore Riley Hayward and Kelsey Kafka looking to break through.
Stewart and senior sprint freestyler Rebecca Heyliger are the captains for the 2014-15 squad.
USC, under ninth-year head coach Dave Salo, will have to replace a trio of 2014 senior standouts in Kasey Carlson, Stina Gardell and Meghan Hawthorne. Carlson was a six-time All-American and three-time individual finalist whose 50y and 100y free and 100y breast will be hard to replace while Gardell and Hawthorne were both stalwarts in the 200y and 400y IM and the 200 breaststroke.
Among the top newcomers to the squad are freshmen Hannah Weiss, Kindle Van Linge and Alexa Cacao. Weiss is a 2013-14 Junior National team member strong in the fly and back. Van Linge is strong in the 100y fly and back while Cacao is an up-and-coming diver who won the 2014 U.S. springboard title in the 16-18 age group. Also now available is 2014 transfer Lucy Worrall, a butterfly specialist who was an NCAA point scorer for Miami in 2013 in the 100y fly.