Women's Soccer
    USC Holds On to Defeat No. 17 Washington 2-1 on the Road

    Jamie Fink converted a penalty kick for the game-winning goal.
    Oct. 31, 2014

    Final Stats

    SEATTLE - Two first half goals for USC proved to be enough, as it weathered the storm through the second half to defeat No. 17 Washington at Husky Soccer Field on Friday afternoon.

    On the win, head coach Keidane McAlpine said, "This was another great road win for us against a really good Washington team. We are seeing the determination and consistency we have been looking for at the right time of year."

    In the 6th minute of the match, the Trojans struck, as Sydney Sladek evaded the keeper who was off her line on the left side by the six-yard box, and crossed the ball to Johnson who headed it into the right corner of the net for a 1-0 lead. The goal was Johnson's fifth of the season.

    The Huskies got on the board in the 27', as the Trojan defense and goalkeeper Caroline Stanley were unable to clear the ball out of the box, and Chelsea Archer got a look on the empty net for the finish to tie the game 1-1.

    In the 36', the Huskies' Amanda Perez was whistled for a foul in the box and given a yellow card, setting up a Trojan penalty kick. Jamie Fink finished the penalty kick for her sixth goal of the year, giving the Trojans a 2-1 lead. At the half, the Trojans and Huskies were evenly matched on the stat sheet, with eight shots apiece and three saves apiece.

    The Huskies were not going to go down easily, and fought hard from the opening whistle of the second half, looking for that equalizer. They outshot the Trojans 6-2 in the second half and had two corner kick opportunities, including one in the final few minutes of the match, but the Trojan defense, led by Seattle-area native Dominique Randle held strong, carrying the 2-1 victory to the final whistle.



    The Trojans remain on the road, heading to No. 22 Washington State for a 1 p.m. game on Sunday, Nov. 2 in Pullman.