Women's Lacrosse
    Trojans Edged by Brown Bears in Overtime Thriller

    Freshman midfield Amanda Johansen had three goals and an assist in a 9-8 loss to Brown.

    March 22, 2013

    Final Stats |  Photo Gallery  | Box Score (PDF) Get Acrobat Reader

    PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The USC women's lacrosse team (5-7) found itself on the short end of a 9-8 game that ended in the second overtime period against Brown (6-1) at Stevenson Field, on Friday, March 22. In the program's first-ever overtime game, the Women of Troy got three goals apiece from freshman midfield Amanda Johansen and freshman attack Caroline de Lyra, but it wasn't enough as the Trojans dropped their second game in a row.

    Johansen scored the game-tying goal to force overtime with 45 seconds remaining in regulation and had an assist to go with two ground balls and a pair of draw controls. Sophomore midfield Kaila Sommi and freshman midfield Paige Bonomi each scored one goal in the game.

    After they had built a 6-3 lead in the first half, the USC defense struggled at times in the second half as the Bears outscored the Trojans, 5-2, to knot the score at eight-all after 60 minutes of play. USC caused just three of Brown's 15 turnovers and were outshot, 27-16, in the game. In the cage, freshman goalie Liz Shaeffer had 12 saves.

    For the Bears, Bre Hudgins' play was key as she led her team with three goals and three draw controls. Brown got individual goals from six other players, but the game-winning goal belonged to Hudgins who scored with just 16 seconds left in the second overtime period. The Bears caused nine turnovers and picked up 12 ground balls on the day.

    USC controlled the scoreboard at the outset as de Lyra scored her 38th goal of the year on a free-position shot to put the Trojans up, 1-0, a little over four minutes into the contest. Sommi scored three minutes later to push USC ahead, 2-0. The teams traded barbs through the heart of the first half until Johansen went unassisted to put a ball in the back of the net for a 3-0 USC lead at the 14:48 mark in the half. 30 seconds later, Brown had an answer as Lindsey Minges scored to get the Bears on the board.

    De Lyra went to goal and got her second of the half at 12:05 to boost USC to a 4-1 lead, but Brown responded when Richael Walsh scored, 50 seconds later. Bonomi's goal at the nine-minute mark put USC on top, 5-2, before de Lyra took a pass from Johansen to score her 40th goal of the year and give the Trojans a 6-2 lead with 2:29 to go. The Bears weren't going to go quietly, however, as Danielle Mastro got a goal off a pass from Hudgins to get Brown into the break with a three-goal deficit, 6-3.

    Mastro's goal was the first of four straight goals for the Bears. More than seven minutes passed in the second half before Hudgins scored to pull the Bears within two goals at 6-4. Alyssa DiBona followed Hudgins' lead as she scored just nine seconds later to pull Brown within a single goal. USC stiffened on defense, but five minutes elapsed before Hudgins broke through for an unassisted goal to knot the score at six-all.

    The Trojans stopped the bleeding with under 10 minutes left on the clock when Johansen scored unassisted to get USC back in front, 7-6, but Brown scored the next two goals; one by Grace Healy, and one by Janie Gion, to take its first lead of the game at 8-7 with 2:28 left to play. Johansen's goal came at 0:45 to force overtime, but after five more minutes on the field, the Bears walked away with a 9-8 win on Hudgins' final offering.

    USC will return to the West Coast and play its final five games against MPSF conference foes. The Trojans will face Denver on Easter Sunday (March 31) at McAlister Field in a 1 p.m. PT game. Please visit www.USCTrojans.com for more information and links to live stats and streaming video.