Popov, Park, Kim Earn All-Pac-12 1st Team Honors
May 1, 2014
USC senior Sophia Popov and sophomores Annie Park and Kyung Kim were named to the All-Pac-12 Women's Golf first team while junior Doris Chen and freshman Karen Chung earned second team honors, the conference announced Thursday (May 1).
This is Popov's third All-Pac-12 first team honor to go with a second team pick in 2012. Like Popov, Park and Kim are repeating as first teamers from 2013. Chen received her second straight second team nod after earning first team honors as a 2012 freshman.
This is the second year in a row No. 1 USC has had five golfers among the three All-Pac-12 teams announced and the fifth year in a row with at least four. The most USC has had was six in 2008. It is also the seventh year in a row the Trojans have featured at least two women on the first team.
All five of the Trojans honored are ranked in the top 25 nationally by Golfweek.com and have helped USC - the defending 2013 NCAA champion -- win a school-record eight events this season and finish second in the other three.
Notes on each honoree:
* Annie Park boasts a team-best 71.10 stroke average and has an active streak of eight top 11 finishes in a row. Her stroke average is under her school record set last year (71.36) and her 10 rounds in the 60s this year broke USC's school record (previously eight)
* Sophia Popov is USC's career leader in rounds in the 60s with 21 (including five this season). She led Trojan golfers with a 70.56 stroke in fall play and had two top 3 finishes and three in the top 17. She now has six top 13 finishes and seven in the top 17.
* Kyung Kim is second on the team in stroke average (71.50) and is second on the team with eight rounds in the 60s, which ties the old school season-record (before Park broke it this year). She has a team-best two wins this year among her seven top 13 finishes.
* Doris Chen boasts a 72.64 stroke average which includes a career best three rounds in the 60s this year. She has four top 10 finishes and six in the top 13. She led USC at the recently completed Pac-12 Championships, finishing third.
* Chung has three top 6 finishes as a freshman, including one win. She is third on the team with a 72.50 stroke average and is tied for third with five rounds in the 60s.