No. 1 USC Victorious Over UC Irvine at Marks Stadium|
Feb. 7, 2015
LOS ANGELES - The No. 1 USC Trojans took to the court and claimed a decisive 7-0 win over UC Irvine on Saturday, Feb. 7 at Marks Stadium. Initially planned to be a doubleheader, the match against San Diego State was canceled due to rain.
The clouds loomed overhead before the start of USC's match versus UC Irvine. Due to the potential of rain, both coaches decided to forgo the doubles portion of the competition and only compete in singles.
The Trojans sprinted through the singles competition. #8 Jonny Wang set the tone as he finished first over opponent Tyler Pham with a 6-2, 6-0 decision. Not far behind, senior Eric Johnson shut out UCI player Shuhei Shibahara 6-0, 6-0, to build a 2-0 lead for the Trojans. Connor Farren posted a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Justin Agbayani, but it was #104 Max de Vroome who registered the clincher, beating Rafael Davidian 6-2, 6-2. The two remaining matches were played out as well. #3 Yannick Hanfmann defeated Nico Mertens 6-2, 6-3, and #58 Nick Crystal closed out Jonathan Hammel 6-3, 6-2 to finish off the singles play.
Even though USC had secured a 6-0 victory over UC Irvine, there was considerable time left over. Since it had not yet begun to rain, the coaches elected to play the doubles portion of the competition.
The Trojans breezed through doubles as well. The duo of Wang and Bellamy on court three shut out Irvine's Mertens and Shibahara 6-0. Crystal and Farren were the next pair to finish in a 6-2 decision over Pham and Hammel to collect the doubles point.
USC's next competition will take the Trojans to Chicago to compete in the ITA National Team Indoor Championships, which they qualified for on Jan. 24 by beating Louisiana and Santa Clara during the ITA Kick-Off Weekend. The tournament begins on Friday, Feb. 13, with the championship taking place on Monday, Feb. 16.
Complete results from today's match are below:
#1 USC 7, UCI 0
Feb. 7, 2015 - Marks Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
(1) #3 Yannick Hanfmann (USC) def. Nico Mertens (UCI) - 6-2, 6-3
(2) #8 Jonny Wang (USC) def. Tyler Pham (UCI) - 6-2, 6-0
(3) Eric Johnson (USC) def. Shuhei Shibahara (UCI) - 6-0, 6-0
(4) #104 Max de Vroome (USC) def. Rafael Davidian (UCI) - 6-2, 6-2*
(5) #58 Nick Crystal (USC) def. Jonathan Hammel (UCI) - 6-3, 6-2
(6) Connor Farren (USC) def. Justin Agbayani (UCI) - 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 6, 4*, 1, 5
(1) Crystal/Farren (USC) def. Pham/Hammel (SCU) - 6-2
(2) Smith/Quiroz (USC) vs. Agbayani/Poon (SCU) - 5-6 susp.
(3) Wang/Bellamy (USC) def. Mertens/Shibahara (SCU) - 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 1
USC wins doubles point