No. 2 USC Advances To ITA Kick-Off Final|
Jan. 25, 2013
RIVERSIDE, CALIF. -- The No. 2 USC men's tennis team got out of the gates for 2013 on a solid winning note in taking out No. 66 San Diego State with a 4-0 sweep on Day One of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend. Los Angeles rains forced the teams to take shelter in Riverside in order to stay on schedule with ITA Kick-Off competition. The teams holed up at Hampton Indoor Courts in Riverside, Calif., with Fresno State and Georgia Tech taking to the courts first for a marathon match that saw the Bulldogs pull off a 4-3 win over the Yellow Jackets. With USC's 4-0 win over the Aztecs, the Trojans will face No. 69 Fresno State tomorrow afternoon for the right to advance to next month's ITA National Team Indoor Championships, which the Trojans won last year.
USC set a winning tone in doubles play when Max de Vroome and Roberto Quiroz teamed up for an 8-0 shutout that included winning the last 20 points of the match. Michael Grant and Jonny Wang would secure the first point of the day with an 8-3 win at the No. 3 spot, and the Trojans had the 1-0 advantage. USC would go on to pin up three straight-set singles wins to lock away victory. Sophomore Roberto Quiroz kicked off the push with a smooth 6-4, 6-0 win over Hunter Nicholas at the No. 3 spot before junior Emilio Gomez dished out a 7-6, 6-2 win at the top spot over Derek Siddiqui. The finishing touches on this one would come from sophomore Jonny Wang with a 6-1, 7-5 clincher over Juan Florez from the No. 4 position.
As long as the skies behave, Saturday's competition will take place at USC's Marks Stadium. Georgia Tech and San Diego State are scheduled to square off at 3 p.m. in the consolation match, followed by a 6 p.m. championship bout between USC and Fresno State.
#2 USC 4, #66 San Diego State 0
Jan. 25, 2013 - Riverside, Calif.
(1) De Vroome/Quiroz (USC) def. Bertsch/Nicholas (SDSU) - 8-0
(2) Gomez/Johnson (USC) vs. Siddiqui/Florez (SDSU) - DNF
(3) Grant/Wang (USC) vs. Sangwan/Simon (SDSU)- 8-3
USC wins doubles point
Order of finish: 1, 3
(1) #27 Emilio Gomez (USC) def. Derek Siddiqui (SDSU) - 7-6, 6-2
(2) #61 Eric Johnson (USC) vs. Thorsten Bertsch (SDSU) - 6-3, 3-6, 3-0 susp.
(3) #24 Roberto Quiroz (USC) def. Hunter Nicholas (SDSU) - 6-4, 6-0
(4) #121 Jonny Wang (USC) def. Juan Florez (SDSU) - 6-1, 7-5*
(5) Max de Vroome (USC) vs. Spencer Simon (SDSU) - 3-1 susp.
(6) Michael Grant (USC) vs. Andranik Khachartyan (SDSU) - DNF
Order of finish: 3, 1, 4