The Trojans practiced at Bishop Gorman High School this afternoon in preparation for Saturday's game.
- With a wind chill quickly descending on the practice field once the sun went down, interim head coach Clay Helton kept his media session short. He was self-deprecating calling himself "a third string coach," but extremely complimentary of his team and what they have accomplished this season. "They are the definition of our sports motto Fight On," he said.
- Forgetting the city or the bowl game, Helton explained that the team is far more motivated for the Las Vegas Bowl because of the opportunity to win 10 games. "When you are trying to get a double digit win, that's a special thing," he said. "We have talked about finishing and making our Trojan Family proud. We want this team to be remembered. It's not a wasted year. With 47 scholarship players going out on the field on Saturday...to get that 10th win would be something very special and would hopefully catapult USC into even bigger things under Coach Sarkisian."
- Junior TE Xavier Grimble is enjoying his Las Vegas homecoming trip, and he got to practice at his high school today, which boasts impressive facilities. Grimble's teammates were joking with him that Bishop Gorman was so nice that he downgraded when he came to USC. The players were calling it "Bishop Gorman University." Grimble was quick to remind everyone that he never lost on that field.
- Grimble has been the Vegas tour guide for his teammates. He is chaperoning the team on the Strip, but he is also showing them inner city Las Vegas, which is where he grew up. "I am proud of where I am from," he said. "Vegas is more than just the lights that you see."
- Grimble has accumulated "30-something" tickets for Saturday, and he is working to find more for friends and family.
- Here are the John McGillen photos from today's practice...