Written by Sarah Bergstrom, USC blog contributor
Eager to depart for Vegas tomorrow morning, the Trojans hit the field on Tuesday for their final full and physical practice in preparation for Saturday's bowl game...
- We've heard his name all week long, but not without reason. Derek Carr is statistically the best quarterback in the country right now and will be leading one of the most potent passing offenses the Trojans have seen this Saturday. Interim head coach Clay Helton is confident, however, that after two weeks of preparation and practice, the team is ready for the challenge. "The skill that they have on this team, there's a reason they were one game away from a BCS bowl game," said Helton. "This is a very talented team. They can compete with anybody in the country. We have a heck of a game coming up, it'll be a huge battle for us, and we're excited about it."
- Despite the threat he poses in the pocket, Carr will be feeling the heat from USC's talented front seven, according to junior corner Josh Shaw. "Fortunate for us we have a great defensive line here and a great group of linebackers who get after it. So whatever game we go into it's kind of expected that the quarterback is going to get pressured a lot, that he's going to feel uncomfortable, and that should be no different come Saturday," said Shaw.
- Saturday's game is not only a chance at a 10 win season, but also an opportunity for this senior class to win their first bowl game. Junior defensive end George Uko says he's playing with that in mind. "It would mean a lot," said Uko. "That's what I want to do, send the seniors out right. That would be the biggest thing. For us as a group to send them all out with their tenth win, that would be a big honor."
- It all comes down to this as the finale of the 2013 football season arrives this weekend. It's been a long journey but the Trojans aren't finished yet. "At the beginning of the season our mentality was to take it one game at a time. Now this is our last game...We're excited to get out there and get our tenth win," said Shaw.
- Here is Coach Helton after Tuesday's practice...