Written by Caroline Deisley, USC blog contributor
After finally cracking the AP Top 25 for the first time since September this past week, the Trojans completed another hard day at practice as they seek their fifth consecutive victory this season when they take on the Colorado Buffaloes this Saturday.
- Coach Orgeron announced that Jordan Simmons (knee) and Gerald Bowman (shoulder) had season-ending surgeries today at the Keck Medical Center. Other than that, the head coach did not address the status of other notable injured players like Marqise Lee and Silas Redd.
- Today was "No Repeat Thursday" just like every Thursday where the team focuses on short yardage, goal line, and red zone possessions. Coach O repeated that despite the big win against Stanford and the looming matchup with rival UCLA the team's only focus this week was Colorado. He thought that the team got better as the week went on as he was not as happy with the team's practice on Tuesday.
- The head coach says the way to stay focused on the task at hand is to stick to the same process. The team understands that Colorado is a talented team that boasts one of the best wide receivers in Paul Richardson who had 140 yards on 11 receptions in the Buffaloes' victory against Cal last week.
- The Trojans are also concerned with Colorado's rushing game specifically their strong running back Christian Powell who USC tried to recruit as a nose tackle or center. Coach O is also concerned with Colorado's spread offense and their defensive blitzing both of which are areas that have plagued the Trojans in the past.
- Despite the outpouring of support for the interim head coach, Orgeron avoided any mention of his or other's thoughts regarding the future USC head coaching matter. He did say, however, that he was informed of Rich Neuheisel's "Ed O Song" and said that he planned to listen to it tonight when he had some free time.
Here is Coach Orgeron after practice before the team heads to snowy Colorado...