The focus shifted to the defense today which has a big challenge ahead in Boston College.
- The BC Eagles are 2-0 led by senior RB Andre Williams (6-foot and 227 lbs.) who rushed for 204 yards in last week's win over Wake Forest after a 114-yard game in the season opener. "He's a very physical runner," said defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast. "We're going to need all hands on deck to control him. He's very impressive and he gets better as the game goes on."
- At quarterback, senior Chase Rettig, who prepped at San Clemente, will make his return to Los Angeles. He is an experienced veteran with more than 6,000 career passing yards and 39 touchdowns. Lane Kiffin, who tried to recruit Rettig to Tennessee, described him as "very accurate" and a "prototype pro passer in the pocket."
- Cornerback was supposed to be the weakness for this USC defense, but Torin Harris put in a sterling shift with an interception and another pass batted down against Washington State. "He has had a lot of inconsistencies since I've been here throughout the spring and fall camp," said Pendergast. "For a long period of time, that's the best he's played."
- Offensively, Lane Kiffin said the running backs stood out in practice today, and he hopes to dig deeper into the rotation to give Justin Davis and Buck Allen chances to shine in the next couple of games.
- For a little context on Lane Kiffin's opening to his media session, he is jokingly referring to Reggie the security guard at football practice who jumped into the scrum today before our camera was rolling. Kiffin also was asked several questions about the alleged players only meeting.