Written by Sarah Bergstrom, USC blog contributor:
Lane Kiffin ended the suspense at quarterback, for now, announcing that both Max Wittek and Cody Kessler will play in the season opener at Hawaii. However, Kiffin said he and the staff did not know who would "go first" or who would see more reps - that decision will be made once the team gets to Hawaii on Tuesday.
- "That really is about how well both of the guys did," said Lane Kiffin. "At times when you start to think maybe it was going to separate, the other guy would come and have a big day."
- More Kiffin on the quarterbacks: "We've got two guys we feel great about. We don't feel that we have to limit our offense with either one of them in there."
- Both quarterbacks found out this morning and took the news in stride, saying they are excited about continuing their competition.
- Said Wittek on the decision: "I think we're both going to take that mindset. We're both ready to go, playing like we're No. 1 and our preparation will be the same either way. Both our goals are going to be the same - to help the team win."
- Kessler on finding out: "Coach called us in at the same time and he told us we're both superstar quarterbacks and 'it's tough to pick a single one, so we're going to go with both of you.' Personally, I'm just looking for an opportunity to play in a game. We both want the job and we both want to win, but we know it's coach Kiffin's decision."
- The head coach did say that ideally a frontrunner would emerge. "We don't want to do this all year. But we're not going to be stubborn and name a frontrunner just because we're supposed to."
- Marqise Lee on getting to game week: "Man's it's been a long time. I've been ready since the end of the bowl game. I'm ready to start it just like everybody else. That's why I've been working so hard."
- 19 players were out of practice today, but a bright spot was Dion Bailey returning in limited contact. Kiffin expects both Bailey and tight end Randall Telfer to play on Thursday.
- Here's Lane Kiffin from the first practice of game week...