The Trojans practiced in helmets without pads to once again preserve bodies.
- The 2013 USC football captains: WR Marqise Lee, C Marcus Martin, OLB Devon Kennard and LB Hayes Pullard.
- Lane Kiffin on the captains: "All four of those guys are on our leadership council. There's 13 guys on that so this is really the next step of kinda leaders above that. We communicate a lot with those guys."
- Lane Kiffin awarded scholarships to four senior walk-ons: Kyle Yatabe, John Auran, John Akiba and Cody Skene. "Finally something good came out of the sanctions," Kiffin said about being able to reward the walk-ons. He surprised the quartet with the announcement in a team meeting today.
- The Trojans are so thin at right guard that walk-on Abe Markowitz could get the start if John Martinez, Aundrey Walker and Jordan Simmons are all out. Kiffin described the latter three as "not full strength."
- On the quarterbacks, Kiffin explained that both Max Wittek and Cody Kessler have done a lot to minimize their weaknesses. Wittek has improved the touch on his short passes, while Kessler throws a more accurate deep ball than he did in the past.
- Going into Thursday's game, Kiffin has his eye on three units in particular. "I think it's going to be the offensive line with the new guys really playing new spots at center, left guard and left tackle. It's going to be the quarterback play, obviously, with two guys that haven't played very much. And, it's going to be the defensive secondary."
- Unfortunately, Lane Kiffin's post-practice presser would not upload on YouTube. We'll keep trying, but the quotes above were the most newsworthy.