Another two-a-day in the books...
- In terms of positive injury news, the starting wide receivers both returned in some capacity. Marqise Lee was limited, but participated in both practices, while Nelson Agholor was diving all over the field despite his non-contact jersey.
- On the other side, S Dion Bailey limped off midway through. Lane Kiffin did not have any immediate news on Bailey. Josh Shaw was also one of 23 Trojans who were not cleared for contact today.
- The offense was much more sharp in the night session than the morning. Cody Kessler threw the only pick tonight on a ball deflected at the line of scrimmage. LB Lamar Dawson caught the batted ball.
- Again, Buck Allen was the only healthy running back, and he was the star of goal line drills scoring touchdowns as a runner and receiver out of the backfield. Tre Madden practiced but was held out of goal line. The other running backs continue to rehab.
- At the start of Fall Camp, left tackle was the position battle to watch on the offensive line, but Chad Wheeler is now the clear favorite to take that job. Aundrey Walker is competing with John Martinez at right guard. "We are always trying to create competition," said Kiffin. "John and Aundrey are going to have a really good competition."
- Wheeler came to USC as an unheralded 227 pound freshman, but he has put on 60 pounds to fill out his 6-foot-7 frame. He still has more room to grow, he said.
- Wheeler greatly admires Matt Kalil, the most recent USC All-American left tackle. "He is a good man, and one of the best left tackles I have ever seen play," said Wheeler. "If I could be anything like him, that would be a great thing."
- On the defensive line, DL Antwaun Woods sat out the competitive portion of practice so freshman Kenny Bigelow worked with the first team at nose tackle. "That's a tough position," said Kiffin about Bigelow's progress. "He's handling it well. He's much improved from where he was at in the spring."
- Kiffin was attacked by his kids mid-presser, but he handled it well. Here's the head coach...