The NCAA penalties:
- USC is capped at 75 total scholarship players for the next three years, which is down from the normal 85.
- The Trojans can only sign 15 scholarship athletes per recruiting class for each of the next three years.
- USC signed 5 players as spring early entrants, but that total counts towards the 2011 fall recruiting class, which had the normal maximum of 25 scholarship players.
- Lane Kiffin added 12 student-athletes Wednesday as part of the 2012 fall recruiting class, which means the Trojans are still three scholarships away from the cap.
- Those three scholarships will likely be handed out to early entrants for the 2013 spring semester.
- Kiffin will have 15 more scholarships available at this time next year for the 2013 fall class, but if he does not use them all, they will be rolled over again to the 2014 early entrants.
- The final year of the sanctions. The fall class will again be limited to 15 and the coaches will likely sign all 15 players since they will have 25 scholarships made available in 2015.
When the 2012 fall camp opens, Kiffin will have added 17 new players for this year's team (5 early entrants + 12 fall recruits). Next year, he can add as many as 18.
As for the total number of players, USC is over the 75 cap as of today by a small margin, but Kiffin is not worried. With normal roster erosion from transfers, academic ineligibility and other factors, he says that they will not have a problem meeting the mark.