Barkley-to-Woods, Barkley-to-Woods, Barkley-to-Woods...
- We'll get to the news and notes, but the combination above headlined the spring's second scrimmage. Buoyed by the hallowed Coliseum turf, the offensive stars hooked up time-after-time to move the ball and put up points against a mostly staunch defense. "We kind of know what each others thinking now," Woods said of his relationship with Barkley. "It makes it easier and execution is higher."
- Lane Kiffin was asked who the day's standouts were, "Robert and Robert" he replied. "He's bleeding there at the end, yet he puts himself back in. He's so competitive."
- Kiffin also pointed out that Woods is just in his second semester, but he plays and acts like a veteran. "If you have experience on the field, you can be a veteran," the soon-to-be sophomore said. "Some of the guys look up to me as a leader, so I just try to lead by example and with my voice."
- Stats were kept for the scrimmage portion. Barkley finished 22/33 for 152 yards, while Woods grabbed 10 balls for 65 yards.
- As for the other offensive performances, the back-up quarterbacks were efficient but cautious (Jesse Scroggins - 3/3 for 21 yards, Max Wittek - 3/4 for -6 yards and Cody Kessler 4/5 for 21 yards).
- At running back, Dillon Baxter was knocked out mid-scrimmage when he had his right ankle rolled up on. Officially, he was diagnosed with a high ankle sprain. D.J. Morgan (16 carries for 51 yards) and Curtis McNeal (8 carries for 42 yards) continued their strong springs.
- Defensively, Demetrius Wright and George Uko, two of the rising stars, led the way with seven tackles apiece.
- True freshman Soma Vainuku is the only option at fullback right now. "He did some good things today," including scoring a TD during red zone drills Kiffin said. "It's still spinning so much for him."
- If Vainuku struggles to make an impact, Kiffin may opt to use two tight end sets more often given the depth behind starter Rhett Ellison. While Christian Thomas could not participate in today's practice due to an academic issue, redshirt freshman Xavier Grimble showed off his considerable size and athleticism.
- WR Markeith Ambles did not show up to practice today. "You would like to see guys continue to mature," said Kiffin about Ambles.
- OL Jeremy Galten returned to practice just two days after suffering a grade 2 knee sprain. His courage impressed the coaching staff.
- Click here for Lane Kiffin's post-scrimmage remarks!!!