Lane Kiffin announced that they will likely keep the morning practice format for the fall as well.
- No new injuries to report other than Marc Tyler is out indefinitely with a hamstring problem. He said that he has never had a similar injury, so it is tough for him to gauge how long it will take to heal.
- Practice sighting: Former Trojan great and Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio was stalking the sidelines. He embraced Monte Kiffin and longtime assistant Kennedy Pola after practice.
- Today's session was defense dominated. They are "extremely focused" on eliminating big plays, which was a real weakness last year, according to Lane Kiffin.
- The secondary looks like the most improved unit led by CB Nickell Robey and S T.J. McDonald. They have made life difficult on the young quarterbacks so far by jumping in front of passes.
- Robey and Robert Woods are the all-star match-up to watch during individual drills. "It's good work," Woods described the battle. "Nickell is one of the best cornerbacks we have out here. It's great competition. He got me out here today."
- Some of the defensive backs' success can be attributed to the inexperience at the QB position save for Matt Barkley. "We've got a lot of work to do with these three freshmen quarterbacks," Kiffin said. From an amateur scout's eye, Max Wittek appears to spin the ball the best out of his hand.
- While the young talents need molding at every position, there is no shortage of athleticism. "It's an exciting freshmen group," said the head coach. "When we go to our testing, skill stuff and speed work...the top four guys were all freshmen."
- More athletes are on the way, especially at the receiver position with Serra stars George Farmer and Marqise Lee set to flank high school teammate Robert Woods at USC. "They both ask me questions about the playbook every time, so that's good," said Woods, who speaks with both frequently.
- Kiffin was asked at the end of the post-practice media scrum if he's anxious to hear the verdict on the NCAA appeal. "If we're winning, yeah I'd like it to be over!" he joked. "The bowl game, possibly games, it's extremely unfortunate for these guys who weren't even here and had nothing to do with it."