Compiled by USCTrojans.com blog contributor Ben Weiss
The Trojans are rapidly approaching the end of preseason camp and are less than two weeks away from their first exhibition game (11/6 vs. Point Loma Nazarene). A few worthwhile tidbits from today's practice...
- Head Coach Kevin O'Neill named seniors Donte Smith, Marcus Simmons and Alex Stepheson as this year's team captains.
- On Saturday, freshman forward Curtis Washington returned from an injury to play in the Cardinal and Gold game. Today, when he was challenged at the rim by a driving Garrett Jackson, Washington demonstrated his length and athleticism with a strong rejection. His development this year will be key with the lack of depth in the Trojans' front court.
- Jio Fontan spent the entire practice in the gym, but off the court. He continued to rehab his back injury. He'll have plenty of time to get healthy, as he doesn't become eligible until the Dec. 18 game against the University of Kansas.
- The team's only competition thus far has been itself. That ends this Saturday as an undisclosed opponent visits the Galen Center for a scrimmage against USC. The game, however, will be closed to the public and all media.
- Pac-10 basketball media day is tomorrow, so expect plenty of notes and video from all the hoopla (bad pun intended).
- Without further ado, here's Coach O'Neill...