The energy is changing around Howard Jones, it's almost time...
- Injuries were not that bad today. DaJohn Harris limped off the field in pain with a foot injury, according to Lane Kiffin. Shareece Wright was limited with a hip problem. Mitch Mustain has sore ribs.
- Khaled Holmes seems to have dodged the scare of a potentially serious neck injury. "Before the MRI came back, it was up in the air a little bit," Holmes said after practice. "The probability was on our side. I wasn't too scared." The massive guard is sporting a stylish neck roll and he expects to be working with the service team tomorrow.
- Butch Lewis continues to work his way back into form. While they are out, Michael Reardon and Zack Heberer are starting with the first team.
- Jesse Scroggins and Demetrius Wright are waiting on the NCAA Clearinghouse, which exposes the Trojans at quarterback and safety. Dillon Baxter would be the third string QB, although he is suspended for the Hawaii game.
- "I came in wanting to start and take somebody's spot," freshman WR Robert Woods said after practice. He is on track to do just that.
- Woods and Markeith Ambles dropped a few balls in the team portion of practice today. Remember, Mike Williams dropped seven balls against Kansas State before breaking out as a freshman, so the road will have its bumps for even the most talented kids.
- Monte Kiffin will adjust his corners depending on the match-up. Some coaches have a left and right corner and let the offense dictate the match-ups. I expect Shareece Wright will be tasked with blanketing the opposing #1 receiver or the biggest receiver, so Nickell Robey's lack of height is not exposed.
- The coaches are starting to talk about Hawaii. "It's a tough opener," Monte Kiffin said. "The last time I checked they have the same record as us, 0-0."
- I know one of you emailed me about this, so you'll be happy to know that two more scholarships were awarded to walk-ons. PK Joe Houston and LB Ross Cumming were granted scholarships by Lane Kiffin. The head coach called it one of the few bright spots of the sanctions.
- Speaking of Houston, the kickers will kick on artificial turf at some point this week to mimic the surface at Hawaii. However, the team will stay on the Howard Jones grass to keep their legs fresh.
- If you have not picked up on it yet, "roster management" is the key to this season.
- The Trojans will vote on captains this week. Kiffin likes to put the process off, so the freshmen can get to know the true leaders and not just vote for "household names."
- Dillon Baxter will officially NOT join the team to Hawaii. Kiffin admitted that the offense will miss the "Dillon factor" that makes him different from the other Trojan backs.
- LIVE CHAT: If you scroll down, you'll see that we are live chatting with Matt Barkley tomorrow. Please submit your questions in the comments section or ask them for yourself at 12:15 pac time Wednesday.