NFL Draft will be a three-day affair this year conducted out of
The first round will be held in prime time tonight (Thursday), starting at 4:30 p.m. PT. The second and third rounds will be on Friday at 3 p.m., while rounds 4 through 7 are on Saturday at 7 a.m.
* * *
Fourteen Trojans have a reasonable chance to get drafted this year:
And if they don't get picked, then they and the other 2009 Trojan seniors listed below are eligible to be signed as free agents:
Some USC draft facts:
- In its history, USC has had 457 players drafted by the NFL. That's second only to Notre Dame's 462.
- USC has had more first round NFL
draft picks (74) than any other school.
- USC is tied with Notre Dame for
most players selected as the top pick of the NFL Draft (5).
- Last year, a national-best 11 USC players were drafted. That was the second year in a row--and third time in 4 years--that USC had more players drafted than any other school. It was also the third time in those 4 years that USC had at least 10 players drafted.
Here's what a couple NFL draft experts said last year about selecting USC players:
- ESPN's Herm Edwards, the former NFL head coach: "If you want to play pro football and you're a young high school athlete, you know going to USC is going to give you the best opportunity system-wise and competitive-wise on the field. That's what USC brings to the table. That's why historically, year after year, you see all these players coming into the league."
- ESPN's Ron Jaworski, the ex-NFL quarterback: "It's competition. It's fierce competition every day you go out on the USC practice field. Not only on Saturday when they play the game. Every day they're competing at the highest level."