Wednesday, May 27 • Irvine
Friday, May 29 • Indian Wells
Monday, June 1 • Pasadena
Thursday, June 4 • Bay Area (Burlingame)
Monday, June 8 • San Diego
Wednesday, June 10 • Manhattan Beach
Thursday, June 11 • Westlake Village
... previously untold details and anecdotes about USC football, as well as Coach Carroll's advice for building teams that stick together and consistently outperform expectations. He will also discuss leadership off the field, based on his charitable work with kids on the toughest streets of L.A. And he will show how the five principles of the Win Forever philosophy can be applied to any kind of endeavor. [Penguin press release]A portion of the proceeds from the book sales will go to A Better LA.
A quick glance at a few of the Trojans who impressed NFL
personnel the most during Pro Day:
- Mark Sanchez put on a show during his individual workout, firing accurate passes all over the field and displaying excellent footwork.
- Wideout Patrick Turner ran fast (a 4.59 40) and looked smooth in pass-catching and route-running.
- Linebacker Rey Maualuga quelled any doubts by running a 4.69 40 and having a quality performance during position drills.
- Linebacker Clay Matthews looked athletic and sharp during individual drills and even had a soaring catch that had the crowd in awe.
- Safety Kevin Ellison turned out a stellar performance in individual position drills, presumably solidifying his place as a safety on draft boards.
During his more than 45-minute individual workout this afternoon on Cromwell Field, Mark Sanchez threw to Patrick Turner, wideout Jason Mitchell (USC '05), tailback Desmond Reed (USC '07) and tight end Dominique Byrd (USC '05).
Pro Day is seconds away from beginning, as Coach Carroll and the rest of the USC coaching staff are about to kick off the pre-Draft showcase with an introductory meeting for NFL personnel in Heritage Auditorium. The Trojan coaches will open the floor for a Q&A about their NFL-bound players before the meeting concludes, with measurements and testing starting at 11 a.m.
Before the Pro Day circus gets started at 10:30, coaches are making the most of the morning by watching film from Tuesday's practice in offensive and defensive staff meetings. Once 10:30 strikes, the rest of today for the coaches will be consumed with Pro Day workouts and talking with NFL personnel about their League-bound players.
Here's the schedule for today's Pro Day activities. Just a
reminder that everything throughout the day is closed to the public, per NCAA rules.
- 10:30 a.m. • Introduction by Pete Carroll (Heritage Auditorium)
- 11 a.m. • Player measurements/testing (Weight room): Height, weight, arm length, hand width, standing long jump, flexibility, vertical jump, bench press
- 11:45 a.m. • Running and agility drills (Cromwell Field): 40s, pro agility drill, 3-cone drill, 60-yard shuttle
- 12:30 p.m. • Individual position-specific workouts (Cromwell Field). Mark Sanchez is slated to work out at 1 p.m.
Pro Day has
arrived, with 17 Trojans showcasing their skills in front of about 100 NFL
personnel throughout the day. Though the workout includes everything from
weight room exercises to running to football-specific drills, not all of the
players will take part in every event. Here's a list of players participating
during USC's Pro Day today:
- K David Buehler
- TE Dominique Byrd (last season at USC in 2005)
- LB Brian Cushing
- TB Hershel Dennis (last season at USC in 2007)
- S Kevin Ellison
- CB Cary Harris
- LB Kaluka Maiava
- LB Clay Matthews Jr.
- LB Rey Maualuga
- WR Jason Mitchell (last season at USC in 2005)
- DL Fili Moala
- DL Kyle
- TB Desmond Reed (last season at USC in 2007)
- QB Mark Sanchez
- WR Patrick Turner
- DL Gerald
- P Greg Woidneck